Admat offers our customers a diverse selection of tantalum rod, tantalum bar and tantalum wire products which are all engineered for a range of applications. Our products are cold rolled and annealed in a proprietary process which creates metallurgical properties ideal for such applications as sputtering gun barrels, machining into fasteners, x-ray or radiation shielding, medical markers for surgeons, vacuum furnace heating elements, chlorinator springs, components for light bulbs, or machined parts for chemical processing equipment.
Tantalum Rods and Tantalum Bars
Admat’s tantalum rods are manufactured by cold rolling large diameter tantalum ingots into smaller diameters and performing intermediate anneals to recrystallize the metal before repeating the process. This process guarantees that the metallurgy of the rod is uniform. The tantalum rods and bars are typically centerless ground to ensure a smooth uniform surface. Usually customers who plan to machine the rods prefer the material to be unannealed, whereas those who plan on drawing or rolling the material further ask for annealed.
Did you know that Admat can also supply fasteners such as screws, nuts and washers made of tantalum?
Uses of Tantalum Rods and Tantalum Bars
Tantalum rods and tantalum bars appear in many applications, including:
- Sputtering gun barrels: Computer disk manufacturers and other industries using sputtering processes are increasingly adopting tantalum to resist corrosion in sputtering gun barrels. The tantalum lining process is more environmentally efficient than chromium lining, helping industries reduce their ecological impact.
- Machined fasteners: Machined fasteners fabricated from tantalum offer superior corrosion resistance. They replace fasteners made of alternative materials prone to failure or that require expensive equipment shutdowns for maintenance. Tantalum fasteners appear in industries such as mining, energy, and pharmaceuticals as well as in metal and chemical processing.
- X-ray/radiation shielding: Tantalum’s radio-opaque qualities make it ideal for X-ray and shielding applications seeking to prevent radiation leakage. Tantalum shielding also protects sensitive electronic components in aerospace structures as well as components operating in corrosive environments.
- Vacuum furnace heating elements: Because of tantalum’s oxidation resistance and high melting point, many vacuum furnace components incorporate tantalum bars. Tantalum’s temperature grain stabilization increases machine life expectancy due to its ability to withstand high temperatures for long periods of time.
- Machined parts for chemical processing equipment: Tantalum’s corrosion-resistant properties make it a choice material for machined parts used in chemical processing equipment. Tantalum machined parts replace inferior materials that do not perform as well in harsh chemical environments and require extensive maintenance.
In addition to straight tantalum rods and bars, Admat also offers tantalum wire on spools or loose coils. Just like our tantalum rods, our wire is produced using multiple processes. Each process tweaks the material properties just enough to enhance the materials performance in different applications. Let us know your end use and we can custom manufacture the tantalum wire for your application.
Furthermore, Admat leads the field in supplying tantalum tungsten alloy wires. We offer tantalum 7.5% tungsten (Ta7.5W) and tantalum 10% tungsten (Ta10W) wire as loose coils or on spools in a variety of sizes and diameters.
Uses of Tantalum Wire
Tantalum wire offers superior performance in the following applications:
- Chlorinator springs: Our tantalum wire provides ideal mechanical properties and corrosion resistance for safe, high-performing chlorinator springs. We specifically engineer tantalum wire for this application, creating product chemistry and microstructures that safeguard against premature component failure. In fact, customers have proven that Admat’s spring wire continues to operate long after competitors’ products have failed during third party testing.
- Medical markers for surgeons: Tantalum bars and rods resist chemicals in bodily fluids and are nonirritating to the touch. Surgeons use tantalum tools in bone, eye, and cranial surgeries. Tantalum rods and bars act as markers in various types of cancer treatments.
- Filaments and wires for light bulbs: Superior ductility allows tantalum wire’s use in a wide variety of light bulb filaments and wires. The material offers superior corrosion resistance and serves as an oxygen getter.
- Evaporation Pellets: Short length tantalum wire is used as evaporation media for the manufacturing of semiconductors, magnetic memory devices, optical and corrosion resistant coatings.
Choose Admat for all your tantalum rod and wire needs. With over 50 years of experience working with refractory metals, Admat provides a broad range of refractory metals and products including tantalum bars, tantalum rods, and tantalum wire. To learn more about our product line and how we can serve your industry, request a quote today.